Initially when given the due date of February 23rd, I thought it would be nice if he could just hold off arriving until March. Our February is kind of busy with birthdays and our anniversary, and so if he came in March, it would space things out a little more. Also, each our of kids could have a separate birthday month. I was doubtful though, since I was 5 days overdue with Westin and only 2 days overdue with Jade. I assumed I would be even less overdue with this one, but figured I would "try" for March anyway. My doctor said I'd be lucky to make it to my due date. I did lots of walking with the other two, and pretty much none with this one until the night of February 28th. After walking the mall, speed walking and squats at home, the contractions began at 1020pm. They quickly moved to 2 minutes apart and we headed to the hospital at 1115 (Wes wanted to make it in before midnight, so we could count it as an extra night for our supplemental insurance, increasing the payout-that's my husband!). Also, I had hoped to forego the epidural, with this likely being our last baby. Since I had an epidural with Jade I knew how nice they are and worried that I might not have the guts to go without one again. I thought a quick birth might be my only chance. Well, that turned out to be what happened. The contractions came quick and hard and I did ask for an epidural, but the nurse had a hard time getting my blood samples and by the time the epidural arrived I was about to start pushing. So, we declined the epidural, knowing it wouldn't help much at this point. My doctor was laughing at me between contractions...I think I may have come off a bit like Jekyll and Hyde. Anyway, I was relieved to be at the pushing stage, because with Westin, even though I didn't get an epidural with him, I only felt pressure during pushing. This one, however, was not the same. I felt the continued contractions and stretching and burning, and PAIN! All the while Wes is calm and collected (while later stating that I sounded like I was killing a wildebeest with my bare hands), helping me as needed. He said he was thinking that he couldn't do much about the pain so he might as well enjoy the birth of his son. I agree. At least I only had to push for 10 minutes. Benson arrived at 1232am, MARCH 1st, weighing 7.3 lbs, and measuring 21 inches. I was amazed that things went the way we hoped, and glad that I was able to miss the epidural, despite the pain. I love that every birth story is different and you can't predict how things will go or estimate according to past experiences. The birth experience really is a fascinating thing and I appreciate that we have had safe, easy births, without complications. We have been blessed with ease in this aspect of our lives.
My mom was here to help us out, and so it was really nice not having to worry about getting someone to stay at the house while we were at the hospital. Not to mention Westin and Jade had a great time baking with Grandma, being read to, playing games, and doing other fun things with her. After Benson came, I was able to hand him off to her at anytime and he was very content with her. We missed her when she left.
I have a ton of pictures to post, but will just add this one for now. Benson is a such a good baby so far. Westin and Jade love him and get in his face quite often, but he doesn't seem to mind.
Friday, March 15, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment