Back in January Wes decided he wanted to do a half Ironman race. Since November, he'd started to get back into exercising (after a 5 year hiatus!), and decided to go big or go home. He chose the Boise 70.3 Half Ironman race. I was slightly shocked. Wes hates running, and the race ends with a half marathon! Anyway, he set his mind to it, and the rest is history! The race started with a 1.2 miles swim, then a 56 mile bike, and then the 13.1 run. Turns out the weather that day was in the high 80's too! BRUTAL! Wes was able to get a friend, Nate, to sign up for the day of torture as well. They stayed with Auntie Judy and Uncle Bill, who took exceptional care of the boys.
Race Faces!
A look at the swim
They had to swim all the way out to the tiny buoys you can barely see in this pic!
In their tri-suits
Right after finishing..."What the heck was I thinking?"
Haha, actually they both did great! Wes finished with a time of 6 hours and 51 minutes, his buddy just behind him. I was totally impressed, especially considering the 87 degree run and the fact that Wes really did not adequately train for the run, in my opinion. This race is one of the most difficult half Ironman races, also...in the top 4, I think, or 7, don't remember. Anyway, that's my husband! Great job, Wes!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment