Saturday, October 8, 2011

Napa Valley Ragnar

I ran a second Ragnar Relay mid September. It started in San Francisco and ended in Calistoga. In total, our team of 12, covered 187 miles. My part consisted of 17 miles broken into 3 runs. My first was 2.7, then 9.3 (it was suppose to be 9, my Garmin said 9.3), then 5.2. I was runner 12 again also. My running didn't go as well as I wanted it to. I felt really tired from the beginning (we started Friday morning, but my first run wasn't until 5pm, and by the time I went to bed Sat night, I'd been up 40 hrs. I had bronchitis a couple weeks before the race, which didn't help my training. I'd like to blame my lack of "umph" on that, but really, it's just another excuse! Oh well! I did really enjoy my 9+miler at 3am, except I fell and got scraped up, and ran into a road sign. The road was not lit well, which is why we wear headlamps, but mine was a cheap one and didn't work. Part of it was through quiet, small town streets, most of it was away from the busy roads. It was peaceful...at times. The girls on my team were great. Most from church. We were team "San-Frantic for a Nap-a," and we ended up getting 3rd in our division.

Starting line. We wore pajamas for our team attire...to go with our name.



The team of 12 is broken into 2 vans. Here's our 6.



In our night gear.



The introspective Diana, me, and Jen. Jen is one of the preschool moms in the group Westin is in currently. Her son was born a few days before Westin. She is great.



After we each completed our first run, we had a break while the first van ran their second run. Lucky for us we were near Petaluma, with all its charm and tasty food, and ate at Graziano's. Normally I am not super impressed with restaurant pasta, because Wes KNOWS how to do pasta, but I was starving and exhausted, so I loved it.




After running my last 5.2 miles in the heat, I was happy for it to be done. Fortunately I had a couple of sweet friends, Jen and Carrie, run the last mile with me, which gave me an extra push. Otherwise I think I may have walked in! Just kidding, well, maybe.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

How AWESOME. They have a run that that from Mimai to the Florida Keys. I think you should come down and run it with me!!!! Great Job.

Amanda Tippetts said...

Oh man, they just offered to let teachers sign up for the ragnar here for free and I'm tempted except for the fact that I haven't run for months and my pregnant body just wants to lay around all the time. Sounds so fun, especially doing it with good friends like that! If we lived closer, I'd totally be doing it with you.

BrooksBlog said...

I love your hair!!