Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Goodbye Too Soon

    When Wes was one he traveled from S. Korea with his 3 year old sister, Whitny, to Seattle, WA, where they were adopted by their parents.  On September 12th, Whitny's battle with stomach cancer ended when she passed away.  She was only 33, and left behind 2 boys, ages 11 and 5, and a new husband. 
     In July of 2011, Whitny was diagnosed with stage IV gastric cancer, after about a year of heartburn and progressed stomach pain.  We hoped and prayed that her young age and healthy lifestyle would help her through.  She fought hard and took every chance given her to overcome this monster destroying her body.  She was continually in pain, despite heavy medications.  It was horrendous to watch her go through it all, with little we could do to help.  Too many times Wes and I cried together as he voiced how much he hated watching his sister die. 
     We spent as much time as we could with her, and were relieved when she was finally done with the pain.  Though we knew it was coming, there is no amount of advanced notice that can prepare you.  It is surreal now that she is gone.  Crazy how many lives are affected by cancer.  She is missed daily, but we take comfort in knowing that we will see her again and that she is being well cared for.
     I remember a hike to University Falls that Wes, Whitny, Izzy and I took when Whitny was like 8 months pregnant with Aidan.  It was a 3 mile hike in and it was pretty steep at the end.  She was not the kind of person to let pregnancy or anything hold her back (in fact she hiked Half Dome in Yosemite just before she was diagnosed).  When we got to the natural water slides at the falls, Izzy slipped down one of the falls and Whitny, in all her pregnant glory, dove in to get him.  Wes and I were both right there, but her motherly instincts thought of 1 thing.  It was a fun day.  I remember a yoga class one Thanksgiving morning, and watching Whitny pulling off some pretty crazy yoga poses after she was diagnosed.  I wish I'd joined her in more classes, so I could do the same thing!  I remember her teaching me to knit, many walks, countless dinners, road trips to Boise, and the general craziness that is a family.  I need to have Wes cough up some of his good memories with his sis.    
     Whitny and I were two very different people, but we are family.   Since she has been my family, I've seen her more frequently than any of the sisters/sister-in-laws on my side of the family.  We had very candid conversations between the two of us and I enjoyed being able to connect, when I knew we were different in so many ways.  I look forward to a reunion with Whitny.  I think it will be pretty awesome. 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing such heart felt emotions. I could tell from the few times I met her that she was a great person. She was also very lucky to have such a great family to be there for her.

annabell bash said...

Our hearts are sad for your loss right now. Death is a hard thing to endure even with the knowledge we have. Knowing that we will see our loved ones once again doesn't make us miss them any less while we are still alive here but hopefully over time you and wes will find comfort in that knowledge. Mark sends a big hug to wes and my arms are wrapped around you! :)

Rachel said...

That was very sweet what you said. I know that you, Kierstin, were a blessing in her life.

Amanda Tippetts said...

I didn't even know she was struggling with that! How horrible! It is super hard to watch a life stripped away by cancer. I maintain that it is just a really loooong death because they can't maintain their standard of living. And still stinks when the end does come. I am so sorry for you guys but I do think she is much happier.

Emily said...

I'm so sorry for this sad, sad news. That is so heartbreaking for her to go at such a young age. I hope you guys are all coping okay. Sending you lots of hugs!